I wouldn't mind that November is almost over, except for the fact that all my teachers have stuff due that week of Thanksgiving, since once we have a week after that, then finals! I stressed out this morning about stuff, but I prayed and I felt better :) God wants me to be in school, so He will help me do everything I need to do for it! This is all what is due in these next few weeks:
- Museum Exhibit - for Social Studies class, this is collecting stuff for a unit I'm planning to help teach the material
- Unit Plan
- Have to present a lesson from my unit plan
- Case Study
- Create a puppet (easy I know!)
- other little things!
I will get it done :)
I wanted to write about something that I discovered in another person's blog!
Liz is the founder of Sseko Designs
These are the awesome women who make the shoes!
(Mercy, Mary and Rebbecca)
Here is their story:
- Sseko \say-ko\ Designs was created to help these bright young women continue their education. The Ugandan school system is designed with a nine month gap between secondary school and university. These nine months are intended to allow time for students to earn money for tuition before continuing on to university. However, in an impoverished and male dominated society, many of these young women struggle to find fair work during this time.
- Sseko Designs hires recent secondary school graduates for this nine month period to live and work together, while earning money that will go directly towards their university education. These women will not make sandals forever. They will go on to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, writers and teachers that will bring change and unification to a country divided and ravished by a 22 year-long war.
- Sseko Designs is a not-just-for-profit enterprise that recognizes the power of business and responsible consumerism to support sustainable economic development, which in turn affects a country's educational, justice, and health care systems. The goal of Sseko Designs is two-fold: provide university tuition for these promising young women through a sustainable monthly income, while also contributing to the overall economic development of Uganda.
- Although consumerism makes many empty promises, responsible and proactive consumerism has the ability to change lives. Like the lives of Mercy, Mary and Rebbecca.
A cool thing is these shoes have interchangeable straps!!! There are many different straps to choose from, and they make different ones for the different seasons! :D
These shoes are a little more than I have ever paid for shoes, since I can get more shoes if I get cheaper ones, but that's not always the best thing. Anyways, depending on what strap you want when you purchase the shoes, the patterned ones are $42, and the solid color strap sandals are $40. I am SUPER excited to get me some of these! That's what I asked Joey for, for Christmas :)
Another fun thing is that you can decide different ways to wear the straps! There are many different ways to wear the straps even if you only have 1 color/pattern.
Ok here is the website if you were wondering:
I think riverbend is cute!
Plus right now they have buy a pair of sandles and you get another strap for FREE!
I just wanted to let all you ladies know about these shoes, I think they are cute, creative, and I love that we can help these women to have a better life!
On another note, Burney had to spend the night at the vet's last night. To put everything lightly, he would have benefited from Activia. We have those cardboard scratches, and he likes to eat what falls off, and...well....that caused problems. I am so thankful and blessed to have a great vet, Dr. Dietz, that manually helped Burney out. He was in no pain since he was drugged. Burney was also dehydrated because of his situation! Poor guy! I didn't expect him to have to stay overnight, but I am glad he did. I picked him up this afternoon and he was meowing!! He hardly ever meows, so I think he was really happy to see me! :) I know the other kitties missed him, and are happy to see him! He is doing much better now and I am so happy that he is!
That's all that has been going on! :)
Have a lovely night!
Post a Comment